Predikheren- of Dominicanenklooster

Built: 1736

Abandoned: 1977

Visited: 2007

Mechelen, Belgium

The Dominican Order, or Dominicans is a Catholic religious order, created by Saint Dominic in the early 13th century in France. This religious group came to Mechelen in 1651 and in 1652 obtained permission to establish a monastery with a small chapel. The monastery and chapel were ready in 1689. Soon the chapel became too small for the Dominicans and a church was built. The church was inaugurated in 1736 after seven years of building. The Predikherenklooster later was sold to a religious group that used the monastery as a retirement home for men.


In 1796 the French occupiers take the buildings and used them as a training site, a military hospital and military arsenal. The tower of the church was demolished during those years. In 1814, the Allies drove out Napoleon and ended French rule.


The monastery keeps its military use until 1977. It first remained a military hospital, the marble floor was broken up and the doors removed. Until the army left the buildings in 1975 it was named ‘Barracks General Delobbe’. In 1977 the monastery was sold to the city of Mechelen.

Photos Predikheren- of Dominicanenklooster

Don`t copy text!