Papierfabriek Louis De Naeyer

Built: 1860

Abandoned: 2004

Visited: 2015

Willebroek, Belgium

In 1860 De Naeyer asked the municipality of Willebroek a permit to build a paper mill with two steam engines on a piece of land located along the canal. The factory make paper pulp with straw as raw material that was brought in by ship from the Netherlands.

Willebroek in 1860 was a rural town with no industry except eight breweries. Willebroek then counted 3.520 inhabitants, located at 1.185 homes. Stimulated by Louis De Naeyer Willebroek changed from a farming community into an industrial town.

1975

In the early 1970s there was eight tons of paper pulp produced every day. A working day lasted about 12 to 14 hours for both men and women. Around 1975 the mill produced about 40 tons of paper pulp a day. The war between France and Germany led to a lack of straw. Therefore De Naeyer experimented with softwood. The wood fibers were boiled in a solution of calcium bisulfite and to make paper of dough.

Louis De Naeyer also built houses for his workers. He also built a bakery, library and a kindergarten for the workers. In 2004 the factory went bankrupt.

Photos Papierfabriek Louis De Naeyer

Don`t copy text!