Home RTT

Built: 1949

Abandoned: 1998

Demolished: 2011

Visited: 2005

Oostduinkerke, West Vlaanderen, Belgium

Henry Lacoste is the architect of this art-deco building in the dunes of Oostende. ‘Home RTT’ opened on 1 July 1950 its doors for the children of the employees of the government phone company Regie, Telegraaf, Telefoon or in short RTT. The buildings were officially called ‘Home A. Van Acker’, after the socialist politician Achiel Van Acker.

1971

The buildings of the home were arranged in a U-shape around a paved courtyard that served as a playground. In 1971 a southern wing was added by architect F. Stiphout. This wing housed a nursery department. The home had a capacity of 220 children. There were French-speaking and Dutch-speaking groups.

2004

At the end of the 1980s the costs started to become too high for a building that was vacant nine months per year. Belgacom, the new name for the RTT, sold it for 150 million Belgian francs to a building promoter who filed for an permission for the demolition of the home and construction of a suite hotel. The dunes are protected nature, so when the demolition started in 2004 the European comity ordered Belgium to stop the demolition. Since that day the building looks out on the sea, half demolished, half trashed by local youth. It took until 2011 before the demolition permit for ‘Home RTT’ was granted.

Photos of Home RTT

Don`t copy text!