Sint-Wivinaklooster

Built: 1897

Abandoned: 2008

Reconverted: 2014

Visited: 2013

Dilbeek, Belgium

According to historiography, holy Wivina lay at the basis of the foundation of the priory in 1126. From 1513 to 1531 a restoration of the buildings is mentioned, followed by devastation and looting during the religious troubles. The following years the site was sold to different owners who built and demolished buildings.

Brothers of the Christian Schools

The existing buildings of the former Benedictine abbey date mainly from the 17th and 18th centuries. During the French Revolution, several buildings were demolished again. At the end of the 19th century the abbey came into the hands of the ‘Brothers of the Christian Schools’ who founded new convent there. The brothers expanded their provincial house considerably with a chapel, a novitiate, a rest home and a secretariat at the site of the former vegetable garden. The buildings of the monastery were modified several times during the whole of the 20th century.

Today the domain is redesigned with apartments with a residential care function. The following remnants of the abbey are the old infirmary (1631), the Gate building (1730), the priest’s house (1756), the confessional court (1775) and the fence wall (17th century). The Sint-Wivina abbey and the surrounding walls have been protected since 1996.

Photos Sint-Wivinaklooster

Don`t copy text!