Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Deinsbekecollege


Zottegem, Belgium

Built in 1883

Abandoned in 2002

Visited on 02 2018


This neo-Gothic school complex was built in 1883 as a Catholic health institute.

To meet the demand for affordable education in Zottegem, August de Rouck founded a new school in 1862. The school was housed in the offices and library of the Sint-Vincentius Society. The following year the school building was extended with a teacher’s house. In 1881 the school buildings and teacher’s house were demolished.

Primary school

A completely new school was built in 1883 in neo-Gothic style. The buildings are designed by architect Alphonse Vossaert (1855-1935), former student of the Sint-Lucasschool in Gent. According to the school chronicle, the construction was partly funded by the founder of the old school, August de Rouck. Initially it was a secondary school for agricultural education. But in 1962 the secondary education moved to a new building. From that time the building was only used as primary school. It used to house about 500 students. After a merge with another local schools in 2002, the complex was no longer used as an educational institution.

While being abandoned and neglected, the roof collapsed after a big fire. The weather took his entry into the building, what caused even plants living inside the old classrooms.

Photos Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Deinsbekecollege