Montevideo magazijnen

Built: 1895

Abandoned: 1950

Renovated: 2011

Visited: 2007

Antwerpen, Belgium

These 12.000 square meter big halls are in the center of an old abandoned part of the Antwerp harbor. The Montevideo magazijnen, a series of twenty-two brick sheds were built in 1895 and named after the ships that sailed out to Rio de la Plata. Until 1950 they were used by its last owner, the English army. They stored food, cigarettes and coffee in the halls. The classic saw roofs kept the light out. During our visit the buildings were in a bad state. In 2011 the halls were stripped and renovated.

Photos Montevideo magazijnen

Don`t copy text!