Infanterie-Schießschule Wünsdorf

Built: 1912

Abandoned: 1994

Visited: 2016

Wünsdorf, Germany

The military history of Wünsdorf goes back to the early 1900s. By 1910 there were quite a few army barracks in Wünsdorf. Part of this growing military city was the shooting school, the ‘Infanterie-Schießschule’. The shooting school consisted of many buildings. There was the hauptwache, office building, two guest buildings, a drill hall, riding hall and stables, a theater and a casino.

After the Second World War the city Wünsdorf was the Red Army’s headquarters in Germany, the biggest Soviet military camp outside the USSR. The Soviets used the school as barracks, named ‘Kaserne des Wachregiments der Sowjetischen Streitkräfte in Deutschland’.

1994

At times, ‘Little Moscow’ was home to as many as 60,000 Soviet men, women and children. The forest city had everything for their needs including schools, supermarkets and businesses. In 1994, the Russians left behind a 260-hectare area. Some of the buildings have since been converted back into homes and occupied by families lured by affordable housing to the middle of a forest. Others are still abandoned.

Photos Infanterie-Schießschule Wünsdorf

Don`t copy text!