Militair Hospitaal Antwerpen

Built: 1898

Abandoned: 1993

Demolished: 2006

Visited: 2007

Antwerpen, Belgium

Completely locked from the public streets is this military hospital. The buildings on the site were build between 1898 and the first 10 years of the 20th century on the site where Fort 4 of Berchem used to be. The fort was demolished in 1884. ‘Militair Hospitaal Antwerpen’ or MHA opened in 1911 by Lieutenant Colonel Waffelaert. The architecture is an eclectic style with mainly neo-Flemish Renaissance elements. In the following years buildings were reconstructed, demolished and rebuild.

1946

During the First World War the MHA was occupied by the Germans. In 1927 the Neuro-Psychiatry Department was added to it. The site was once again occupied during the Second World War until 1946. The driving force in the post-war period was colonel physician Van der Meiren, who modernized the hospital in many different ways. At the end of the 1960s the head pharmacy was transferred to Nivelles, but in the same period under Colonel doctor Van Praet three completely new departments were opened. Militair Hospitaal Antwerpen had a capacity of up to 120 beds, which could be increased to 400 patients in case of disasters.

1993

Besides the hospital rooms there is also a chapel, a monastery and housing for the technical employees. We also found a building for the outpatient departments and a rooms where the surgery took place. Almost all buildings are connected by hallways of glass. Underground there are also hallways, connecting every building. The first signs of closure occurred in the 1980s with the transfer of the neuropsychiatry department to Neder-over-Heembeek. After the abandonment in 1993 the site was locked and left unused. It took until 2006 before the first bulldozer entered the site. The hospital buildings are protected and will be reconverted for a new use. Other buildings will be demolished and new houses will be built there.

Photos Militair Hospitaal Antwerpen

Don`t copy text!