Altes Lager

Built: 1870

Abandoned: 1994

Demolished: 2011

Visited: 2008

Altes Lager, Germany

In 1870 the Prussian army bought this land to built barracks. This site was called ‘Lager 1’, but today the names ‘Altes Lager’ (old site) and ‘Neues Lager’ (new site) are more common for the two big military sites. From 1916 until the end of the First World War there was a military airfield in Altes Lager. The airfield was rebuilt in 1935 and was used by the German Luftwaffe until the end of the Second World War. After the war, during the Cold War, the military places were taken by the Soviet army.


In 1946 the town became an official village, one in the middle of a huge military site of the Soviet army. In 1994 the buildings were abandoned when the Soviets left Germany after the end of the German division. Some buildings were rebuilt for housing, but many kept unused until today.

Photos Altes Lager

Don`t copy text!