Wintercircus Mahy

Built: 1894

Abandoned: 1978

Visited: 2009

Gent, Belgium

The original Wintercircus was built in 1895 by architect Emile De Weerdt. A big fire destroyed the place in 1920. The circus was rebuilt in 1923 by architect Jules-Pascal Ledoux. The circus was one of the biggest permanent circus sites in Europe. The concrete building had place for 3.400 visitors that could watch circus shows, theater and movies. In 1944 the last show was given, the doors were closed for almost three years when the building was sold to garage owner and car collector Mahy.

1978

In 1978 Mahy left the circus and the building became abandoned again. The building was used as storage and in 2009 as an pop-up museum with an exhibition from photographer Vanfletteren. Plans to reconvert the circus as a film theater were never put into action. New plans for re-use as a library are under review.

Photos Wintercircus Mahy

Don`t copy text!