Transfo Zwevegem

Built: 1911

Abandoned: 2001

Restorated: 2007

Visited: 2007

Zwevegem, Belgium

On April 4, 1911, the city council of Zwevegem approved the construction of a coal-fired power plant along the Bossuit-Kortrijk Canal. A few years later, on 5 October 1913, the first steam boilers were taken into use. Between the two world wars, Transfo Zwevegem underwent several expansions and modernization works. The plant produced 56,000 kW shortly after the Second World War. In 1946, steam production was started.

2001

This site of 9 ha is a good example of how a power station looked like a century ago. The plant was used for 90 years. Most of the production was taken over by the Ruien power station in 1958. Due to the limited cooling capacity of the canal, the plant could not expand further and was increasingly used as a back-up power plant. The plant was closed in 2001.

2004

Electrabel sold the site in 2004 to the municipality of Zwevegem. The Transfo site was protected in 2000. As a result, the chimneys, water tower, boiler house, generator building and fuel oil tanks were preserved. Some small, non-classified buildings were demolished. Current Transfo Zwevegem is turned into a public place for living, entertainment and leisure.

Photos Transfo Zwevegem

Don`t copy text!