Rubberfabriek Saiag

Built: 1913

Abandoned: 2004

Reconverted: 2006

Visited: 2006

Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium

This rubber company has a long history in Gent. It first operated as Laroche-Lechat, founded in 1877 by engineer J. Lechat. Laroche-Lechat made textile belts for steam engines. Later the factory moved to this site where a 16th century fortification used to be. Flowerist Edward Pynaert had its business here before. The quay is still named after Pynaert today. The new factory was opened in 1913 and switched to the manufacturing of rubber conveyor belts. During the First World War the buildings were used as a garage for military trucks, so after the war all the machinery had to be bought new.

1978

Vredestein took over Laroche-Lechat in 1969 and in 1978 the Italian company Saiag bought the factory. After take-over Saiag started making rubber seals for the car industry. The factory had 80 employees.

2004

Then the company came into the hands of tire manufacturer Metzeler, part of the Cooper Standard Group. The old Saiag factory closed its doors in 2004 after many complaints about noise and nasty smells from people living nearby. The company moved to another part of town until the production was transferred to Italy in 2012. The old site is now a park and the monumental buildings are reconverted to condos.

Photos of Saiag

siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler
siag metzeler
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
siag metzeler gent
Don`t copy text!