Olympisches Dorf Berlin

Built: 1933

Abandoned: 1992

Visited: 2008

Berlin, Germany

The 1936 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XI Olympiad, were held in 1936 in Berlin, Germany. This Olympic Village was built to house all participating athletes, as well as officials, trainers and other workers for the Olympic Games. About 4000 people from 50 nationalities lived in this village during the games. The architect Werner Mach designed the village as well as the Olympic stadium. They started building in 1933 and within 2 years there were 150 buildings, a gym, swimming pool and a football field ready.

1992

After the games the site is transformed to a military hospital, the Olympia-Lazarett Döberitz. And until 1945 it was used as a military school before the Soviet army took over the site. It became part of the Löwen-Adler Kaserne. The Russian soldiers and family lived in the old Olympic Village until the fall of the iron curtain in 1992. The place was left abandoned until 2004. The city of Berlin started to restore the buildings to its old glory. Today the village is a nice open air museum worth the visit.

Photos Olympisches Dorf Berlin

Don`t copy text!