Maria Ziekenhuis HH1

Built: 1950

Abandoned: 2005

Visited: 2007

Neerpelt, Belgium

In 1930 a group of nuns started this hospital in a big house in the centre of the city. The small Maria Ziekenhuis had only 9 beds and surgeons from surrounding cities came here to help the patients. The first surgeon of this hospital was hired in 1945 and it didn’t took long before the house was already to small. In 1950 the hospital moved to a new building with a capacity of 130 beds. The hospital was expanded 13 years later with a new wing with a children department of 40 beds and 13 private rooms. The hospital closed in 2005 after a merger with another local hospital.

Photos Maria Ziekenhuis HH1

Don`t copy text!