Kraftwerk Hirschfelde

Built: 1911

Abandoned: 1992

Visited: 2016

Hirschfelde, Germany

The history of this building started in 1909 with the decision was made to build a power plant in Hirschfelde. In 1911 the plant was in operation with a capacity of 3,200 KW. In 1914, four turbo generators and 16 boilers were installed with a capacity of 14.1 MW. With the construction of Plant II in 1918, the performance increased to 110 MW. And in 1937 to an avarage of 156 MW.

During DDR times the plant used coal from the mines in Poland. The plant was named Kraftwerk Friedensgrenze during those years.

1992

The power plant was closed after more than 80 years, in 1992. The plant employed about 5,000 people in those years and produced 71.3 million Mwh energy. It was shut down for economic reasons. In the same year, machine room II with its technical installations and the administration building were placed under monument protection. Today these parts of Kraftwerk Hirschfelde are an very nice museum.

Photos of Kraftwerk Hirschfelde

Don`t copy text!