Chateau Vyle

Built: 1910

Abandoned: 2010

Visited: 2016

Vyle-et-Tharoul, Belgium

This castle dates from the nineteenth century, but it is based on older foundation that are dated 1740. The oldest wing of the castle was built by the Lamarche-Francotte family in 1820. The Lamarche were tobacconists. Later the castle was property of Count Alphonse de Meeus and Baroness Louise d’Overschie de Neeryssche . The chateau stayed property of the Meeus family for may years.

1940

The Chateau Vyle figured quite prominently during the war. A German army unit had used the chateau as their billet when the German forces swept through Belgium in 1940. In 1944 the American ‘300th Combat Engineers’ did the same. The furniture was moved out and they slept on the floor of the dining room, the officers were quartered in the upstairs rooms. It has been abandoned for 20 years, the roof and the first floor collapsed. The whole building is just falling apart. During its abandonment the castle becomes a famous spot for photographers who named the place ‘Chateau Congo’.

In July 2016 the castle was bought by an entrepreneur, it will be renovated to apartments.

Photos Chateau Vyle

Don`t copy text!