Jutespinnerij en Twijnderij Filature du Rabot

Built: 1910

Abandoned: 1999

Demolished: 2012

Visited: 2005

Gent, Oost Vlaanderen, Belgium

Filature Du Rabot was founded in 1899 by Theophile Vercoutere and Leon de Landtsheer. In 1910 they built this new modern textile factory along the canal in Gent. It had a beautiful art nouveau façade designed by Schauvliege. In 1925 new buildings were added to the site. The textile industry was booming.

1947

After the Second World War three nearby factories; spinning mill Gallet, flax weaving mill Van Gheluwe and the company Plascobel, were bought by Filature de Rabot. The buildings were replaced by a new spinning mill in 1947. The most important industrial buildings, the offices, warehouses and chimneys date from 1910 and 1912. One of the oldest preserved elements is the high round chimney next to the boiler house, dated 1910 and according to the building permit 36 ​​m high.

1999

The technical installation and the machines in the engine room and boiler house were removed when the factory colsed its doors in 1999. The site is sold to the city of Gent in 2003, they want new houses and apartments on the Rabot site. The site was demolished in 2012, the protected old part of the factory was saved and will be redeveloped for housing.

Photos of Filature du Rabot

Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Filature du Rabot
Don`t copy text!