Heeresbekleidungsamt Bernau

Built: 1936

Abandoned: 1991

Visited: 2008

Bernau, Germany

This building was built in 1936 as a military textile factory. Until 1942 the factory produced many uniforms and other military clothing. After 1942 the building housed the head office of the ‘Heeresbekleidungsamt’ the division of the armed forces that were responsible for the clothing. The office was transferred from Berlin and employed 1.300 people.

1945

In 1945 the Red Army takes over the building in Bernau, now part of East Germany. The Soviets use the Heeresbekleidungsamt as subcamp to store army clothing, army supplies and spare parts. Clothing was also repaired here, there was a laundry and dry cleaning department and a sewing room.

1991

In 1991 the buildings are left by the army and didn’t get a new use. In 2004 the polluted grounds are cleaned around the building, but the site is still abandoned and in a bad state. There are plans to reconvert the site to a residential area.

Photos Heeresbekleidungsamt Bernau

Don`t copy text!