Elementary Flying School

Built: 1900

Abandoned: 1996

Visited: 2006

Goetsenhoven, Vlaams-Brabant, Belgium

Air Base Goetsenhoven was built in 1922. It was the home of Group II flying the ‘Ansaldo A.300’ and ‘Havilland DH.9.’. On the outbreak of the Second World War on 10 May 1940, the airfield was bombed by the Luftwaffe, causing the resident units to divert to other airfields. Aircraft that were not destroyed, ultimately ended up in France. The airfield was only used as a diversion airfield by the Luftwaffe. Near the end of the war the Air Base was bombed once again, this time by the USAAF. It took until 1950 to reopen the air base, at which time the Elementary Flying School was moved in from Schaffen Air Base. In 1969 new aircrafts were bought for the school, this was a major upgrade to the Air Base, which received two asphalt runways, instead of the grass they had used so far.

In 1996 the EVS moved to Air Base Bevekom, ending the military presence at Goetsenhoven. The place was taken over by the civil aviation that uses the control tower, airstrip and the hangars. The old school buildings and barracks were left abandoned.

Photos Elementary Flying School

Don`t copy text!