Deutsche Norton GmbH

Built: 1910

Abandoned: 1992

Visited: 2009

Germany

The Deutsche Norton GmbH was founded in 1909 under the direction of Alfred Schutte. On the 1st of July, 1910 the company started with 60 workers. The factory produced grinding and abrasive products.

During the time of the national socialism several hundreds of forced laborers worked in the factory, they were accommodated in a hut camp about 200 metres to the south on the company area, in the so-called south camp. Another camp was directly on the Rhine shore, the so-called Rhine camp. By the end of the Second World War the factory was partly destroyed by bomb attacks. But after the war the factory became a blossoming business. The work grew and so did the buildings. From the 1970s the Nortongesellschaft also produced highly fire-resistant products. As one of the leading manufacturers of abrasives and highly fire-resistant special products, the name Norton was well-known worldwide.

1990

In 1990 UA mother-company Norton Worcester and also the Deutsche Norton GmbH were taken over by the French enterprise Saint-Gobain. The factory closed and only 50 from 160 employees were offered a job at Saint-Gobain.

Photos Deutsche Norton GmbH

Don`t copy text!