Companhia de Celulose do Caima

Built: 1888

Abandoned: 1993

Visited: 2016

Caima, Portugal

In 1888 the Anglo-Swedish family Bergvist, living in the city of Porto, founded the company ‘The Caima Estate Timber & Wood Pulp Company, Limited’. They started a spinning mill and a pulp plant. The ‘Fábrica do Caima’ as it was called by locals, became the most important producer of Portuguese pulp. On April 19, 1922 the company reduces its name to ‘Caima Pulp Company, Limited’. In 1925 the factory started to use eucalyptus trees instead of pine.

1973

In the 1950s multinational Hibstock Jhonson Breaks took over Caima Pulp Company, Limited. During the 1960s he constructed a second plant in Constancia and it became a worldwide pioneer in the chlorine-free pulp bleaching process. In 1973 the company changed its name to ‘Companhia de Celulose do Caima’.

On 9 July 1993 the factory closed down. 200 workers became unemployed. The international crisis lead to a decline of the pulp price and drastic reduction in the price of wood. But also the pollution of the river was one of the reasons to close the plant. All the company’s activities would be concentrated at the plant in Constancia.

Photos of Companhia de Celulose do Caima

Don`t copy text!