Verlipack Jumet

THE ABANDONED FACTORY IN BELGIUM


‘Verlipack’ was an abandoned glass producing factory in Jumet. It produced glass bottles in large quantities for brands like Heineken Beer and Muscadet Wine.

Verlipack glas jumet

‘Group Verlipack’ was the biggest producent of bottle glas in Belgium. It had a marketshare of 20% in Belgium and 2% in the European Union. The company had 735 employees working in the three factories in Ghlin, Jumet and Mol. The bootle glass industry suffered a crisis in the 1960s. The company survived this period well. A new crisis emerged in the 1970s. In 1978, prices collapsed by around fifty percent. Verlipack went bankrupt in 1985.

In the year the Belgium government became 49% owner of Verlipack. The other 51% were in private hands of the company Beaulieu. During some economic problems in 1996, the government sold the company to Beaulieu who started a venture with the German company ‘Heye Glas’.

1999

On January 18, 1999, another bankruptcy sealed the fate of Verlipack Jumet, it was terrible news for the 187 employees of the company. The Jumet site was abandoned, the other sites were sold and re-used by other companies. The buildings were demolished in 2006, but it took about 10 years before new development plans were ready for the site. I took these photos of ‘Verlipack Jumet’ in 2005.

Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet
Verlipack glas jumet

Don`t copy text!