Laminoir de la Rochette

Built: 1883

Abandoned: 2014

Visited: 2016 + 2017

Belgium

The history of Laminoir de la Rochette goes back to the year 1700 when a water operated metal mill was built here. In 1797 the factory was transformed into a rolling mill. In 1811, a tinsmith workshop and a spinning mill were built, this company was in operation until 1860. Between 1883 and 1965, Laminoir de la Rochette operated a sheet mill and rolling mill for rifles and knives.

2004

In the 1970s, Prometa and Cadmiage Gilson and Metal Protect Defa set up shop on the site. In 2004, Prometa was taken over by the Galvanoplastie Maurice Gilson. They tinned copper, and had a department for galvanizing and anodizing aluminum. Metal Protect Defa, ceased operations in 2008. Six years later, in 2014, Galvanoplastie Maurice Gilson is declared bankrupt and the site is abandoned. In 2017 the site was cleaned of 18,000 litres of chemical waste.

Photos of Laminoir de la Rochette

Don`t copy text!