Het Zegel

Built: 1836

Abandoned: 1993

Visited: 2006

Mechelen, Belgium

These buildings of ‘Het Zegel’ were built in 1836, the owner wanted to start a candle making factory. But the production never really took off, the company soon went bankrupt. The owner tries a second start with a spinning mill but fails again.

1843

In 1843 the buildings are sold to the train company who uses it as a storehouse. In 1868 the mail company sold the site. The buildings are named ‘Den Tember’ and ‘Het Zegel’ or in English The Stamp. In this print office, Stamps and train tickets were printed. It was the first and only printing company for stamps for many years. For 125 years the building was used by the mail company, in November 1993 they move out leaving the buildings abandoned. The buildings were partly demoslihed and partly reconverted in 2010.

Photos Het Zegel Mechelen

Don`t copy text!