Anciens Etablissements Alsberghe & Van Oost

Built: 1879

Abandoned: 1990

Demolished: 2006

Visited: 2005 + 2005

Drongen, Oost Vlaanderen, Belgium

Textile bleaching factory ‘Anciens Etablissements Alsberghe & Van Oost’ was founded in 1879 by two brothers-in-laws. In 1920, the company had evolved into a important textile company that was engaged in finishing, bleaching and washing of yarns and fabrics. The company had a huge international expansion. From 1970 onwards growth stagnated and in 1978 the company, which was already in French hands, went bankrupt.

Artifex

Sobelta bought the factory and sold it in 1990 to Artifex who used some buildings for storage. Since that day people and nature haven’t been kind with the building. Because of this the building complex fell into disrepair. The company was shut down and the machines were sold, the iron was broken out by thieves. Even parts of the steam engine were stolen. The thieves were arrested in 1986. But the local government did nothing to protect the engine from nature and other people with bad intentions.

Protected site

The machine house and the boiler house were protected. Also the three cylinder steam engine built by the Ghent company Vande Kerkckhove were included in the protection decree. The other buildings are protected as a cityscape. In 2003, the proposition to use the domain for a social housing project was accepted. Demolishing of the buildings started late 2004. Alsberghe & Van Oost site was reconverted into a gigantic housing complex.

Photos of Anciens Etablissements Alsberghe & Van Oost

Don`t copy text!