Åkers – Division d’Usinage


Belgium

Built in 1900

Abandoned in 2015

Visited on 07 2016


This is the machining division of the recently abandoned Åkers factory in Liege. The company’s name was originally Åkers Styckebruk and was founded in 1580 as a canoeing company. The mill has since given its name to the whole community. At the end of the 1700s, the family was acquired by the Wahrendorff family from Germany. For a few centuries, cast iron cannons were the major product. In 1840 Martin von Wahrendorff made the world’s first back-loaded cannon in Åkers. In 1806 the first roll was made.

This Åkers factory produced and sold cast and forged rolls and bars for steel industries in the Liege area. When the steel industry in Liege collapsed, this factory went down with the big industries.