Circuit Reims-Gueux

Built: 1926

Abandoned: 1972

Visited: 2015

Gueux, France

The circuit Reims-Gueux was a Grand Prix motor racing road course, located 7.5 km west of Reims in the Champagne region of north-eastern France. The circuit was established in 1926 as the second venue of the Grand Prix de la Marne. The triangular layout of public roads formed three sectors between the villages of Thillois and Gueux over the La Garenne / Gueux intersection of route N-31. The circuit became known to be among the fastest of the era for its two long straight roads, 2.2 km in length each. They allowed maximum straight-line speed, resulting in many famous slipstream battles.

1966

The last year for Formula One at Reims came in 1966. The last sports car competitions were held in 1969, but motorcycle racing continued for another 3 years. In 1972, Reims-Gueux closed permanently due to financial difficulties. There was to be a historic race held in 1997 but it was cancelled for technical reasons several months before it was due to take place. By 2002, the bulldozers arrived to demolish some portions of the track. A few sections of the old circuit are still visible today around the pit lane.

‘Les Amis du Circuit de Gueux’, a non-profit organization, is working to preserve the old pit building, grandstands and other remaining structures of the circuit. They actively support historic meetings which use the 1952 Circuit d’Essais.

Photos Circuit Reims-Gueux

Don`t copy text!