Beelitz-Heilstätten: Verwaltungs- und Nebengebäude

Built: 1898

Abandoned: 1994

Visited: 2008

Beelitz-Heilstätten, Germany

This lung sanatorium was built between 1898 and 1930 in forests around Beelitz. It is a huge site with many different buildings. We visited the outbuildings of Beelitz-Heilstätten like the administration building, the heating plant, the backery, the butcher and the machine rooms.


By 1908 there were houses built for the doctors, a post office, a restaurant, stables, workshops, two kitchens, two washing rooms as well as its own baker’s shop and a butcher. In 1926 over 30.000 breads and more than 1 Million rolls were baked. Weekly about 25 pigs and 5 cows were slaughtered on the hospital site. The centre of the technical infrastructure was the heating building. The combined heat and power station with its characteristic 44 m high water tower supplied the entire sanatorium area via an underground, more than 10 km long duct system with warmth and electric power as well as with drinking water and hot water. This building was specially designed to prevent dust and smoke near the patient buildings.


In 1994 the Soviets leave the hospital and the site is given back at the city of Berlin. Today the heating plant is restored to its original state. It is a protected monument.

Also check the other Beelitz buildings:  Zentrale Badeanstalt, Die Chirurgie, Frauen Lungheilstatte and Manner Lungheilstatte.

Photos of Beelitz-Heilstätten: Verwaltungs- und Nebengebäude

Don`t copy text!