Ateliers de Réparations et Chantiers Beliard, Crighton & Cie.

Built: 1923

Demolished: 2007

Visited: 2006

Oostende, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

The shipyard Beliard Oostende is officially known as the Ateliers de Réparations et Chantiers Beliard, Crighton & Cie. It was founded in 1877 in Antwerpen. The company starts building ships in Oostende in 1923. The first years they focussed on fishing boats. Later also for the pilot services and boats that were used as a beacon.

1945

Between 1945 and 1983, 132 ships were built on this shipyard, all in steel except for a few wooden minesweepers for the Navy. In addition to the minesweepers, several ships were built for the government. However, most of the production was steel trawlers. In 1947, 700 people were employed. In 1960 this number had dropped to less than 300 and in 1994 only 150 remained. The name of the yard changed several times, in 1961 to Beliard Murdoch and in 1983 to Mercantile-Beliard.

1955

In the 1955 Beliard Oostende merged with Crighton and in the 1980s, when they switched from steal boats to producing polyester boats, they merged with Mercantile. Between 1983 and 1990, ten glass fiber reinforced polyester mine hunters were built on site.

1994

In 1994, the company, now transformed into Beliard Polyship, went bankrupt in the absence of new orders. The city demolished the shipyard in 2007 and prepared the site for new harbor activities.

Photos of Shipyard Beliard Oostende

Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Beliard, Crighton & Cie
Don`t copy text!