NSA Field Station Teufelsberg

Built: 1955

Abandoned: 1995

Visited: 2008

Berlin, Germany

In 1937 construction works for a military-technical college started. When the Second World War broke out only the shell of the compound was finished and work on the facility was put to halt. During the war the place was used to store ammunition. Allied bombing raids damaged the unfinished buildings and after the war it remains were torn down. In 1950 the site was used to dump rubble from Berlin’s ruins. The hill grew to 55 meters and the Teufelsberg was born.

The NSA Field Station in Berlin on Teufelsberg was one of the premier listening posts of the cold war. Situated on top of the highest point in West Berlin, the station had a very good reception of signals from all directions. And of course viewed from West Berlin, in all directions was to the East. The station was situated in the British sector of West Berlin, so the US services were technically a guest there. The British armed forces had one building on the hill and a very high metal grid antenna tower that was removed around 1992, for their collection antennas. All buildings are connected by covered walkways, except the dining facility, the small Jamabalya radar tower and some minor outlaying utillity constructions.

1995

The NSA Field Station Teufelsberg was abandoned in 1995. Due to construction work, aimed at building expensive apartments in the area, some buildings were demolished.

Photos of NSA Field Station Teufelsberg

Don`t copy text!