Kraftwerk Spreeheide

Built: 1926

Abandoned: 1992

Visited: 2014

Germany

This power plant is one of the oldest power stations for brown coal in Europe. It was built in 1926 and was the most modern power plant of its time. In 1942 the plant is enlarged. At the end of the Second World War the power plant was closed down. Four weeks later, the Soviets took over and put the plant into use again.

In 1967 the first plans to close down the plant were made, but it took until 1992 before the plans were affective. April 1992 the last turbine-generator was switched off.

Photos Kraftwerk Spreeheide

Don`t copy text!