Cartiera Vita Mayer

Built: 1853

Abandoned: 1977

Visited: 2010

Italy

This paper mill is divided in two different plants, with a common history from the 1950s. The older one, was built in 1853 as small spinning mill, over a previous one owned by Nuns since 1700. At the turn of the century the mill was converted into a paper factory, owned by a famous Italian paper manufacturer. Later they sold the plant to another family, an important Jewish family from Torino, managing a lot of entrepreneurial activities.

World Wars

Between the two World Wars the paper mill was enlarged in the south with some tall yellow-painted buildings and modern machineries. The emanation of race laws against Jewish led to a critical situation: the Mayers were forced to leave their industrial activities, and the regime took control. Plant 1 was classified as A-industry, strictly necessary for the national defence. In 1940 it employed 957 people. Ended the war and collapsed the regime, the ownership returned to the owners. The decade from 1950 to 1960 is known as the golden age, financially supported by Marshall Plan. The paper mill was enlarged and highly modernized.

In the 1960s the production was around 80.000 tons a year transported with six freight trains every day. 2000 workers were employed in Plant 1 and 750 in Plant 2. The slow end of the paper factory started in 1971, when a paper industry crisis hit the company. Added to this difficult financial situation, the railway line was closed for lack using, then the paper complex was deprived of its most important freight channel. In 1977 machineries ceased every activity and gates were closed forever.

Photos Cartiera Vita Mayer

Don`t copy text!