Laminoir de la Rochette


Belgium

Built in 1883

Abandoned in 2014

Visited on 09 2016 + 10 2017


The history of this site goes back to the year 1700 when a water operated metal mill was built here. In 1797 the factory was transformed into a rolling mill. In 1811, a tinsmith workshop and a spinning mill were built, this company was in operation until 1860. Between 1883 and 1965, Laminoir de la Rochette operated a sheet mill and rolling mill for rifles and knives.

In the 1970s, Prometa and Cadmiage Gilson and Metal Protect Defa set up shop on the site. In 2004, Prometa was taken over by the Galvanoplastie Maurice Gilson. They tinned copper, and had a department for galvanizing and anodizing aluminum.Metal Protect Defa, ceased operations in 2008. Six years later, in 2014, Galvanoplastie Maurice Gilson is declared bankrupt and the site is abandoned. In 2017 the site was cleaned of 18,000 litres of chemical waste.