Zentralflughafen Tempelhof-Berlin


Berlin, Germany

Built in 1923

Abandoned in 2008

Visited on 09 2016


Berlin Tempelhof Airport was one of the airports in Berlin. Situated in the south-central Berlin borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg, the airport ceased operating in 2008.Tempelhof was designated as an airport by the Ministry of Transport on 8 October 1923. The old terminal was originally constructed in 1927. In anticipation of increasing air traffic, the Nazi government began a massive reconstruction in the mid-1930s.

It had two parallel runways. Runway 09L/27R was 2,094 meters (6,870 ft) long and runway 09R/27L was 1,840 m (6,037 ft). Both were paved with asphalt. The taxiway was in the shape of an oval around these two runways, with a single terminal on the northwest side of the airport.

One of the airport’s most distinctive features is its massive, canopy-style roof extending over the apron, able to accommodate most contemporary airliners in the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s, protecting passengers from the elements. Tempelhof Airport’s main building was once among the top 20 largest buildings on earth; in contrast, it formerly had the world’s smallest duty-free shop. Throughout the Cold War years, Tempelhof was the main terminal for American military transport aircraft accessing West Berlin.With the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany, the presence of American forces in Berlin ended. The USAF 7350th Air Base Group at Tempelhof was deactivated in June 1993.

Tempelhof Airport closed all operations on 30 October 2008, despite the efforts of some protesters to prevent the closure. The former airfield has subsequently been used as a recreational space known as “Tempelhofer Feld” and as an emergency refugee camp.